Oct 2, 2018

I'm Still Here In the Bathtub

Title: I'm Still Here in the Bathtub
Genre: Poetry
Author: Alan Katz
Awards: 2007 Young Hoosier Book Award (nominee)
Age Group: 4 to 7-year olds

Teacher Evaluation: As a teacher, I would use this book of poems in order to develop early childhood students' phonological awareness. The rhymes in the book will help students develop their phonological awareness as well as the sing-songy type language used. Since the book offers multiple texts, I would certainly choose some of the texts over others depending on what I feel will relate to my class or be more interesting to my students. This book could also be used as a "brain break" because the texts included could have dances added to them, therefore students are able to get their "wiggles" out.

Summary: This book consists of 14 different texts written in the tune of popular nursery rhymes. Although the range of topics in the book is wide, they all take classic nursery rhyme tunes and make them more relatable to children. My favorite one in the book is called "I-T-C-H-Y" which is about uncomfortable clothing but in the tune of "B-I-N-G-O". I like this one because I think it would be relatable to students and also it would be familiar to them because of the tune so hopefully, they would be able to chime in and repeat the poem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment